Saturday 26 March 2022

Dumbass Algorithms.

OK, it seems that this is how YouTube algorithms work:

One little algorithm with its eyes rotating in opposite directions notices that I sometimes watch historical documentaries. ‘Ah,’ says wobbly-eyed little A, ‘this man watches historical documentaries so he’ll be bound to want to watch videos about brutal executions.’ No he won’t.

Another one that tucked its thumb under its fingers an hour ago and is still looking for it spots my habit of occasionally watching animal-themed videos. ‘Oh look,’ it intones absentmindedly while becoming increasingly worried about its missing thumb, ‘this man watches animal-themed videos so I can be sure he’ll like videos of one animal eating another animal alive.’ No you can’t.

So, is there anybody in the YouTube department of Google to whom I can say: ‘the fact that somebody is interested in history and animals is no reason to presume that they’re perverts, so please don’t. Instead, give me a button to click which says never offend my eyes and sensibilities with videos of this sort ever again.

I’ll bet there isn’t.

No comments: