Tuesday 23 November 2021

Standing Back.

Someone I know is currently being driven by the powerful winds of passion onto a course which I fear will drive her onto the rocks. So should I advise caution? No, for several reasons.

Firstly, I don’t give advice because I consider it presumptuous. Secondly, it isn’t really any of my business. Thirdly, I might be wrong. But the main reason is the fact that I know her to be an experience junkie, and experiences come in all forms, some good and some bad. That’s life and it’s her right to experience it warts and all.

If I’m right, perhaps I will still be around to help her patch up the ship. Or maybe I won’t.

*  *  *

I’m currently being wowed by Shirley Jackson’s masterful skill at drawing a character by the classic expedient of showing, not telling. I’m actually quite pleased that I never discovered this woman before. I think she would have slipped by unnoticed, and that would have been a shame.

No comments: