Friday 26 November 2021

Mind Matters.

The wind is howling with great gusto around the house tonight, the mysterious creature which inhabits the roof space above my kitchen is knocking and scraping around, and I just watched a Doctor Who episode about a werewolf. It’s all making me feel curiously unsettled, as though the enemy is at the gates and I can hear them digging a tunnel under the walls. Did you know that fear and loathing of invasion is at the root of most of my neuroses? I suspect it’s a past life thing.

*  *  *

There’s a motivational video which occasionally shows up on my YouTube recommendations. It says something like: As soon as you stop wanting something, you will get it. What kind of motivation is that? If you’ve stopped wanting something, what’s the point of getting it? The question here, of course, is whether wisdom is all the wiser for being irrational.

No comments: