Tuesday 29 September 2020

Trump: The Facile & the Fallout.

I gather Donald and Joe are going head-to-head in Ohio tonight, although I have no idea why such a fact should be considered newsworthy. Debate is all very well in committee, cabinet and government where the aim is to achieve consensus from a variety of disparate views, but that isn’t the case with a presidential election debate. They are theatre, pure and simple, and as such are pointless and eminently ignorable.

What really interests me is what will happen if Donald loses in November but refuses to concede and declines to exit the White House. Part of me hopes he really does that, because the fallout could be the best bit of theatre in international affairs in decades. On the other hand, I imagine it will almost certainly lead to violence which I wouldn’t want. So I’m going to be sensible and hope that Donald is, too.

No comments: