Monday 28 September 2020

Spirit and the Filipina.

I told somebody the story of the Filipina nurse today, and it was suggested that she might have been briefly bestowing a form of ‘spiritual’ healing on me. I found the possibility both pleasant and gratifying, and so I did a little digging into the approach to healing in the Philippines. 

It seems it’s rather different there – and in Asia generally – than it is here. In the west we place total reliance on mechanics and pharmacology. In most parts of Asia, where they have just as much mechanical and pharmacological nous as we do, they combine it with spiritual and holistic principles. That strikes me as being not at all a bad thing.

And it’s a nice thought, isn’t it, that some young woman who had never met me before and never will again should deem me worthy of a little spiritual tlc? Whether it made any difference or not I can have no way of knowing, but that isn’t the point. The point is that it’s the stuff of which light is made, and was a timely reminder to a severely jaded mindset that maybe the human race is worth belonging to after all.

Then again, as ever, I freely concede that this explanation might be wrong. The little imp of pragmatism never fails to nudge me when there is the slightest possibility that I might be succumbing to fanciful notions. But until it can be proven otherwise, I will continue to accept that I might have been the recipient of a most valuable gift and be truly grateful.

No comments: