Tuesday 8 September 2020

The Remarkable Stephanie Jones.

I made a remarkable musical discovery over the past two nights on YouTube. Her name is Stephanie Jones. I know nothing about her except who she is, and I know that because of how she plays classical guitar. My comment runs thus, and bears repeating on the blog:

I've listened to a lot of classical guitar in my time, going back to the days of John Williams and Julian Bream, but I've never come across anything like this. And so tonight I gave much thought to what makes this woman unique:  

It's as though the guitar is part of her body, and so she plays it as naturally as the rest of us would make a cup of tea or scratch our noses. But it goes further than that. Since the guitar is effectively an extension of herself, the nature of who she is - her personality and emotions - comes through it. You listen to the music and you feel the essence of Stephanie Jones invading your head. The result is explosive and almost disturbing in its teasing intimacy. And I'm not being pretentious in saying this, really I'm not. That's just how it feels to me.

No comments: