Sunday 26 April 2020

More Reasons to Yawn.

1. This is what my apple tree is currently full of. (Non-native English speakers please note: ending a sentence with a preposition is still considered clumsy by the purists. I know that, but I’m lazy. I could have written ‘This is a picture of the flowers currently adorning my apple tree.’ And having said as much, I don’t know why I didn’t just say it in the first place.)



I have a particular fondness for apple blossom and write about it every April. I promised myself that this year I wouldn’t, but I made no resolution not to publish yet another picture of it. So there you go.

2. I seem to be assuming the role of Guardian of the Bees of This Parish. I rescued three more today, all struggling upside down in the birds’ bathing bowl. They will insist on sitting on my finger while they preen themselves, which I consider a little presumptuous of them but I do my best to be tolerant and accommodate their needs. I imagine they’re in shock and I wouldn’t want to be responsible for subjecting them to whatever the bee equivalent of PTSD is.

3. I had a conversation with a neighbour today, at a distance of around 50ft so we had to shout. We talked of many things Covid-related, but what really intrigued me was that his hair was very short. I wondered how he’d managed to get a haircut while I’m consigned to looking more like a scarecrow with every passing day. I should have asked him, but I was growing bored with the conversation before I got around to it. Growing bored with conversations is a problem I’ve always had, and I often wonder how much more I would have learned about life and people if only I’d been more patient.

No comments: