Thursday 23 April 2020

Desperately Seeking a Ramble.

I think it’s self-evident that the only thing we can be absolutely sure of in this life is that one day we will die. But something else which comes very close on the certainty scale is that as we go through life we will change. We all do, and it’s normal and right that we should. And so it seems to me that telling somebody ‘I will always love you’ is not only an empty promise, but also potentially a cruel thing to say.

I’m growing tired of petty philosophising, but it’s difficult to find something to say in the dreamlike state that is lockdown.

*  *  *

A Japanese man keeps writing to me on YouTube. He keeps telling me to be careful of Covid because it’s dangerous. He also tells me I should go to Japan, there to luxuriate (my word) in the proliferation (also my word) of cherry blossom, and join in with the celebratory parties. Seems like Japan is also dreaming at the moment.

*  *  *

I was in my bathroom tonight and thought how creepy it would be to see a shadow move across the floor, thrown there by the spill light from the next room. And yet when it actually happened – twice – in my last house, I found it only mildly creepy. ‘Present fears are less than horrible imaginings,’ said Macbeth. Well, there you go.

*  *  *

Am I coming close to saying anything worth saying yet?

No comments: