Wednesday 29 April 2020

Bad Timing.

Yesterday and today were the first wet days we’ve had for about six weeks. The sun disappeared until late this afternoon and the temperature plummeted. And yet today saw three spring firsts.

There was the baby robin I mentioned earlier, the first flower on my clematis plant, and this evening I saw the first of the house martins which migrate up here from Africa. I asked them why they bothered, but they were too busy trying to catch something to eat and ignored me.

*  *  *

Just to interrupt the mood and aim for something completely different, I thought I’d post a picture of my mother and me feeding the pigeons in Trafalgar Square. I suspect they’ve been banned now, but it’s a long time since I went to London so I can’t be sure. When I look at it I wonder how many of the people in the background are still alive. My mother isn’t, and the pigeons certainly won’t be, so I wonder whether I’m the last one standing.

No comments: