Friday 3 April 2020

A Stranger in New York.

I just watched New York, I Love You again. I liked it better this time around. I liked it a lot.

Despite the fact that I’ve always been a bit of a dyed-in-the-wool Englishman, I still have a soft spot for New York City. (I only ever went there once and I was seventeen at the time. I expect it’s changed a bit since then.) I like the energy, the characters, the plain speaking, the accents, the mix of humanity in all its hues.

That’s what I like about New York, said one character. Everybody came from somewhere else.

Not quite literally true, but who needs pedantry when you can have poetry. New York is an oddly poetic sort of place, even though I can’t for the life of me explain why. And it seems to me to be probably the least American of any place in America. That’s because it seems to me that New York doesn’t belong anywhere in particular. It has no affiliations, or at least that's how it looks to an outsider.

And so I like New York, but…

There was one scene in the film which lasted a mere two seconds. It was a shot of a huge neon sign – or whatever passes for neon these days – which obviously belonged to some big and self-important financial institution. I don’t remember what it said because the actual words weren’t important. What was important was the sense it evoked of the modern world and the direction we’re taking. New York suddenly became the fo'c'sle of some massive ship operated by a blind and deaf captain and crew, heading on an unwavering course for the maelstrom.

The feeling only lasted a few seconds. The rest of the film was fine.

No comments: