Monday 7 June 2010

Mixed Day.

Today’s disturbing little scenario was the sight of David Cameron standing on a soap box yet again, telling us how awful life is about to become in Britain soon. And, as usual, he didn’t give any details as to just whose life is about to be turned upside down in the name of saving the economy. Call me cynical if you like, but what’s the betting the poor will be at the head of the queue? The rich and powerful have influence, so they probably won’t be affected. And Mr Cameron went to Eton. Old Etonians do have an unfortunate habit of regarding we lesser mortals as pawns to be utilised and sacrificed where necessary, whether on the battlefield or in the corridors of high finance. It was they and their ilk who oversaw the Irish potato famine and the Highland Clearances, and I think certain traditions don’t die easily. We’ll see.

On a brighter note, my little apple tree is growing apples. Not such a surprise you might think, but it is. I planted three small saplings – an apple, a pear, and a plum – three springs ago. The apple is still only about seven feet tall. As far as I know, there aren’t any other apple trees within at least four hundred yards, and I’m told that apples are never self-pollinating. Since I don’t have the space to plant further trees, I assumed I would forever have to be content with the sight of blossom only. But no, there are about twenty fruits growing on the little beauty. I suspect the intervention of some invisible little friends.

And I have yet another new flag. Belgium this time. Hello and welcome Belgium.

No comments: