Friday 9 February 2024

Odd Weather and a Yellow Oddity.

The climate is being a bit odd over here at the moment. Yesterday was probably the most depressing day of the winter so far – the snow, the sleet, the rain, the roads running like rivers again, the cold, biting wind, the glowering sky… Today the temperature rose quite substantially and it felt almost like spring was on the rise. We had plenty more rain, but walking in it was far more tolerable than yesterday.

And while I was out doing just that, I encountered the Lady B out running (she’s planning to take part in the London Marathon this year. Mad, but there you are.)

What startled me about her, though, was her apparel. It was tight-fitting as running gear always is; I’ve seen her wearing that before. But the predominant colour was yellow, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen her wearing yellow before. I still associate the Lady B with pink and pale blue, with a change to black for the running. She must have come to within about twenty yards of me before I recognised her.

And the beanie hat didn’t help (I think that was yellow, too.) The only time I ever saw her wearing a hat was that day around ten years ago when I encountered her on the lane wearing a blue Paddington Bear hat. (The next time I manage to have a conversation with her, I must remember to ask whether she still has it. Then again, since the opportunity to speak with her happens about once every three years, I might never get to know. And that gives me a rather neat haunting plan – ransack the house, and if I discover the blue Paddington Bear hat, leave it on a work surface in the kitchen while everybody’s out. Next to the cooker. Yes indeed. Good plan. Only kidding. Or am I…)

So that was my bit of excitement for today. I expect my blood pressure was coming under severe duress.

No comments: