Saturday 13 August 2022

Ignoring the Evidence.

We in the UK are experiencing an unusually hot, dry summer this year. Most of Europe is, and I’ve little doubt that it’s a precursor of worse to come over the next few decades. We’re getting more wild fires; water levels in rivers and lakes are critically depleted; farmers are losing crops which they’ve worked hard to grow; and wildlife is being affected because the wild plants on which many of them depend are falling into decay earlier than usual. We’re being warned by those in the know that we need to take action to slow the warming trend, and in the short term we need to change our habits with regard to water usage.

But you know what will happen, don’t you? Next summer might be a cool, wet one because seasonal conditions will continue to fluctuate even as global warming accelerates. And then the naysayers will smile knowingly, convinced that the warnings are nothing more than scaremongering, and that everything is just as it should be and always has been. And there won’t be any point in showing them the graph of seasonal conditions over the past two hundred years which exhibits a clear and undeniable upward trend because they probably don’t understand graphs. Chilling, isn’t it?

Maybe I shouldn’t concern myself too much because I’ll probably be dead before the worst effects come to pass. And I’ve long thought that humanity needs a good shake up because I’ve long thought that the way the developed world lives is too obsessed with lifestyle and too ignorant of life. But if reincarnation is a fact, I am concerned about what sort of world I’m going to be born into next time around.

All day I’ve been trying to think of something silly to say on this blog, but I’m struggling. (Although it does occur to me that maybe today’s humans are reincarnated dinosaurs. Is that silly enough?)

No comments: