Monday 30 August 2021

Explaining Midsummer.

 Ill met by moonlight, proud Titania
~ A Midsummer Night’s Dream

It always struck me as absurd that we in the west call the summer solstice Midsummer’s Day while also defining it as the start of summer. How can it be both, especially when you consider that the summer solstice is the point at which the sun begins to sink in the sky and the days start growing shorter?

But then I had a thought…

In the pre-Christian Celtic calendar, summer was defined as the months of May, June and July. That’s what Beltane – 1st May – is all about: the start of summer. So then it makes sense because 21st June, or thereabouts, is the fulcrum point in the solar cycle which is closest to the middle of summer.

I’m now choosing to assume, therefore, that the term ‘Midsummer’s Day’ was donated to us modern ne’er-do-wells by the pre-Christian Celts. Please don’t tell me if I’m wrong because I don’t care.

Lord, what fools these mortals be.
  ~ A Midsummer Night’s Dream

*  *  *

I consider it notable that this is my 33rd post of the month, which is the highest number of posts of any month this year. That seems odd considering that I’ve been feeling ill and depressed for most of August, but maybe it isn’t. Maybe I’m just getting used to feeling ill and depressed. I was talking to a woman this morning who believes that Covid is nature’s way of reducing the surplus population. And it isn’t even Christmas yet.

No comments: