Wednesday 28 August 2024

Perusing the Possibility of a Parting.

I walked from the kitchen into my office last night and was unaccountably struck by a sense that something was missing. It felt as though I was walking into an empty room which isn’t usually empty.

I looked around and soon ascertained that everything was where it always is. Both the desk light and the uplighter were on and as bright as usual. And then an apparent realisation struck me: what was missing was the presence of the priestess.

You see, during the thirteen years when she and I were corresponding, it never consciously occurred to me that something of her essence was here in this room. I know I used to fancifully write about my ‘Chinese ghost’ visiting, but it was transparently fictional. Or so I always thought. Having felt the sudden sense of emptiness, now I’m not so sure.

Now I wonder whether some aspect of consciousness is capable of transcending distance because distance, like time, is illusory. After all, stranger things are happening in the world of quantum physics. So was last night the point at which the priestess finally left my orbit? I don’t suppose I shall ever know.

No comments: