Monday 15 January 2024

The Colours of the Days.

I learned earlier that today is Blue Monday. It appears that some psychologist once put several random factors together, came up with some sort of equation, and declared that the third Monday in January is the most depressing day of the year and should have an official title. Wouldn't you think that psychologists would have better ways of spending their time? (And I would have thought that Black Friday has an equal claim, but that’s just a personal thing.)

Today was depressing for me actually, but I’m sure it was merely coincidental. It had more to do with the coldness of the day, two unusually extended internet dropouts, and a stinging sensation where my old Wartherin’s tumour used to be. I’ve also discovered this winter that walking in low temperatures makes me feel not only cold, but ill. Whether it’s to do with heart issues, vascular issues, or just the plain drip, drip of the ageing process I have no idea.

As for Blue Monday, it occurs to me that people born between the fifteenth and twenty first days of January might have a problem, because approximately once every six years their birthday will fall on the most depressing day of the year. What a life sentence, eh? I suggest that some psychologist should conduct a study of such people and give them an official title. It might alleviate their depression, or at least give them a clinical excuse for being grumpy.

No comments: