Wednesday 10 January 2024

A Curious Piece of Perception.

I woke up feeling chilled in bed again last night, in spite of the wall-mounted electric heater keeping the room aired and several good layers of heavyweight bed linen covering my recumbent form. I don’t know why that happens occasionally, but sometimes it does and it did so last night.

Naturally, I did my best to emulate a hedgehog in defensive posture – even though humans are not as well equipped as hedgehogs to morph into temporary spheres – and tried to go back to sleep. What happened next was interesting.

The room was fully dark and my head was tucked down and covered by the weight of bed linen, and yet I seemed to open my eyes and look around at the space in which I was enclosed. It appeared cavernous, somewhat lumpy, and coloured a deep red. There were two black holes at the bottom of the cavern, being the tops of two tubes extending downwards towards the foot of the bed. My immediate thought was that I was lying in my own heart, or rather my consciousness was. And then I went back to sleep.

Now, the fact of feeling chilled in the circumstances described is a little odd in itself, but surely the more important point is the question of why I should perceive my consciousness to be lying in my own heart. Is this something physical, philosophical, psychological, poetical, or shamanic? If anyone should have an opinion on the matter, I would be glad to hear it. My own feeling is that I’m slowly losing the plot.

No comments: