Monday 16 October 2023

On Wednesday, Just Causes, and Deliberately Overused Adjectives.

I watched a couple of YouTube clips last night taken from the series Wednesday starring some young actress called Jenna Ortega. I was impressed by the style and the idea, but I was even more impressed by Ms Ortega. Mightily so – so mightily, in fact, that my head began to swim a little and I became mildly confused. I wanted to have her all to myself in the top room of the highest tower of the Romanian castle where the series was filmed, and there I wanted to talk to her at great length.

(That’s all I ever want to do with young women these days – talk to them. It’s because I find them so much more characterful than characterful young men, probably because the character exhibited by characterful young men seems to be largely driven by some pre-conceived, culture-designed notion of masculine acceptability, whereas it has been my experience that characterful young women generally derive their characterful expression from somewhere genuinely deep inside. Maybe it’s an early step on the road to a switch in gender dominance. I wouldn’t know, I being a mere male who remembers having been young once.)

And so, unsurprisingly, I would very much like to watch the whole of Wednesday, but there’s an impediment. I gather it was made for, and shown on, Netflix, and I decline to have any truck with Netflix. I further gather that it has now been sold on to Amazon Prime, and my antagonism to anything connected with Amazon is well entrenched (I explained why in a post a year or two ago.) So why is that?

Well, a long time ago I decided that these off-campus entertainment producers were a step too far in furthering the Great Capitalist Conspiracy trend in which fat businessmen in $5,000 suits sit around tables in the penthouses of opulent office suites working out ever more flagrantly conspiratorial ways to separate the rat race competitors from money which could be better spent on better things (insert a few obvious examples if you wish.) So that’s why I don’t have Netflix, Amazon Prime, or anything else off-campus. If it doesn’t appear on DVD, free-to-air terrestrial TV, or in the cinema, it’s off limits to me.

So am I being a feckless martyr in pointlessly denying myself something I’m sure I would enjoy, or am I making a stand in a just cause? Answer: Making a stand in what appears to me to be a just cause affords me the sense that there is still a smidgeon of nobility in my little existence, and that means even more than watching the incomparable Jenna Ortega playing a teenage Wednesday Addams.

My case rests there.

No comments: