Thursday 19 October 2023

Israel and the Order to Conform.

I’m so desperately desirous of making a blog post, but I can’t because my mind is so crammed full of the Israeli situation. It’s not just the tragic suffering engendered by the situation itself, but the toxic air billowing around in its wake. I want to be rid of it, not writing about it.

If I so wished I could write reams on the subject, but I don’t wish it because I’m tired of the hypocrisy coming from the mouths of politicians and the media. I can do no more than groan helplessly at Biden’s empty-headed rhetoric: ‘America is Israel’s friend. We will always stand with Israel. Israel is not alone.’ This is tosh, and anyone with a grain of intelligence knows it’s tosh. Friendship is a human faculty and has no place in international diplomacy. International diplomacy is about strategic and economic exigency, not human values. It’s about winning in order to protect the power base. (And the same could be said of America’s ‘friendship’ with Taiwan, a fact which the Taiwanese would do well to bear in mind.)

But this problem is not restricted to America. Back here in dear old Blighty we’re having the same message driven relentlessly into our faces: ‘You will choose a side to support unequivocally, and it shall be the right side. Any variation of unquestioned allegiance to the prescribed cause, however balanced and well-reasoned, will not be tolerated. Resistance is useless.’

It’s making me constantly angry and cutting my mind off from contemplation of higher matters. And that’s why I’m saying no more on the subject.

No comments: