Tuesday 10 October 2023

Not Going Deep Into Israel.

I was going to make a post about the horrific happenings in Israel, a major tragedy by anybody’s standards. I was going to reference other historical events which bear telling similarities. I was going to consider the history of friction between Israelis and Palestinians, and query to what extent Netanyahu and the abusively arrogant hardliners should accept some measure of culpability. I was going to ask what aspects of human nature rise to the surface when flashpoints are reached, because atrocities are being committed in several parts of the world, not just in Israel. I was intending to pour scorn on Biden’s assertion that the Hamas attack was ‘an act of pure evil’ because that raises issues on several levels, not least the fact that it’s a hopelessly simplistic and air-headed sound bite engendered by questionable political and strategic affiliations, and because it’s a sad fact that it’s pretty much what we always get from the top table of big politics.

In short, I was going to suggest that there are complications afoot here.

But what would have been the point? I have no doubt that anything I said would have been widely misinterpreted because people don’t want complications and they’re not interested in trying to understand the background to the horrors. They want knee jerk reactions and petty sound bites from the top table. It’s why I don’t fit in, and why I didn’t bother to make the post.

Besides, what’s it to me anyway – one little recluse sitting in a little house among the relative peace and quiet of the English countryside? Why should I even have an opinion, much less express it? Why should I care? All I can say is that I do have an opinion and I can’t help caring because I’m empathic by nature and things like this bother the hell out of me. They’re one of the major roots of my distaste for the abject side of the human condition and the fact that so many people in positions of power and influence are so ready to access it.

No comments: