Sunday 18 June 2023

Sunday Bloody Sunday.

The same thing happened today as happened last Sunday. It was fine and warm through the morning and most of the afternoon, but then the electricity in the air decided to have fun with the poor, benighted humans down below. The thunder and lightning weren’t quite as bad as last week, but the 15-minute monsoon was.

My house leaked again in the same places as last week, plus one more for good measure. This week it also threw a load of water up from a drain that runs beneath the kitchen, thereby causing a minor flood in said kitchen and my office. It wasn’t quite a proper flood when the whole downstairs is under water to a depth of several feet – which must be pretty soul-destroying – but it did involve an awful lot of mopping and squeezing into buckets. And it happened just when I was making dinner, so half my attention was given to removing water and the other half to stirring, timing, and turning sausages over. Such fun.

It’s the third time I’ve had a flood there, and the last time it happened I called the agent and asked for the issue to be remedied. She sent out five contractors, arranged as one group of three and another pair of two. They said they’d fixed the problem, but it was obvious to me that their remedy wouldn’t work. And so it hasn’t because they were the next best thing to useless. Such is the way of things with land agents and rented houses, and such is life.

There was a time when I would probably have found it funny, but I was younger then.

No comments: