Thursday 29 June 2023

Blood and Bullocks.

I went for my umpteenth blood test at the doc’s today. As usual, I didn’t faint. And as usual, I talked too much. I mentioned to the (middle aged) nurse that a couple of years ago, several nurses tried to take a blood sample but had great difficulty owing to the insistence of the veins in both arms to slip sideways when they tried to insert the needle. ‘That’s unusual,’ she replied. ‘That usually only happens in people older than you.’ What could I say but ‘Gee, thanks.’

*  *  *

And now for a sad story. You might remember me mentioning the little black bullock who was alone in the field behind my house for a few days. I looked out of the bathroom window today and saw that he was back and still alone. I watched him trudge slowly up the hill, occasionally stopping to glance around, and felt intensely sorry for the little guy. That sort of thing really gets to me, you know, and it stays with me for a long time. Cows are herd animals and need to be with others of their kind, and it’s my heartfelt belief that those who fail to take account of the fact that animals are sentient and emotional creatures shouldn’t be allowed to have custody of them.

No comments: