Friday 23 December 2022

On Charity and Mixed Fortunes.

I would have to choose today to go to Uttoxeter, wouldn’t I? Sky as dark as Hades and pouring with rain. All a bit miserable really, but it did produce an interesting thought.

There was a beggar sitting on the cold flagstones in the rain and that’s a sight I find difficult to ignore, so I went over to him and gave him some money.  And then a question came tumbling into my head:

‘Why did you give money to that man?’

‘Because he looked as though he needed it.’

‘But you can’t know that, can you? He might be perfectly well off and taking you for a ride.’

‘That isn’t the point.’

‘So what is the point?’

‘The point is that charity is worthy whether it’s actually needed or not.’

‘So you did it to make yourself feel better. In other words, it could be suggested that you were the real beneficiary. Were you?’

‘Partly, yes, but not entirely.’

‘So what else is there?’

‘Well, as I see it, giving is a function unto itself and is, therefore, abstract. And because it’s flowing from one sentient being to another with helpful intent, it’s positively abstract. I hold to the view that all of life ultimately distils to the abstract, and so a positive action – however small it might appear – contributes something worthwhile to the human condition. That’s why I believe that kindness should not be notable but a universal function of human disposition.’

‘OK, that’ll do for now. You may go.’

‘Thank you.’

But I got my reward anyway (even though I’m inclined to shun the notion that reward should be the natural corollary of doing good.) Tesco had Jacob’s Niblets 6-packs again, and packs of egg and cress sandwiches (now reinstated as my weekly treat), and I got the wall calendar I wanted from one of the charity shops. I even popped into the shoe shop, previously mentioned on this blog, to offer compliments of the season and received smiles in return.

Dame Fortune was absent, however, in the matter of the faulty fridge/freezer. I called the electricians to see whether I could get a new thermostat installed quickly and got a recorded message to say that they were now closed until after New Year. Sometimes you get gateau, and sometimes lemons, and one day you move on.

No comments: