Wednesday 4 August 2021

On Memory Lapses and Dessicated Humour.

I was sitting in the garden with a cup of tea this evening while the sun was still up, when a blog post on the subject of it being August ran through my mind. It was a very good blog post, so lyrical it might have been a poem, or at least a few lines of Shakespeare written all on one line. I remember that it mentioned elderberries and rosebay willowherb, but that’s all the detail I do remember. I recall it going onto a different tack entirely, which pleased me because it would have meant adding at least the benefit of variation to an otherwise one dimensional post, but I’ve completely forgotten what the tack was. Such is life, I suppose, when the muses no longer consider you worthy of their extended company, but simply call to you briefly on the way to somewhere else and are never seen again. Or maybe my brain is becoming deficient in some way. Who can tell?

(But in typing this I suddenly remembered the nurse at the Royal Derby Hospital who asked me the oddest question I’ve ever been asked in a hospital: I think it was during the course of a pre-op examination, and she asked: ‘Has anybody ever told you that you have mad cow disease?’ As far as I recall, she had no reason whatsoever to be joking.)

And that little recollection reminds me of something I must say (possibly by way of repeating myself, but I honestly don’t remember) about Shirley Jackson. She had the driest of dry senses of humour. I just read a short story of hers called All She Said Was Yes, and it’s full of little phrases and asides cast to the ether like all insignificant little phrases and asides, only they’re not insignificant. To a mind attuned to very dry humour, they’re actually very funny. I think I would have liked her.

No comments: