Saturday 21 August 2021

A Note on Honourable Sister.

I encountered several members of the D clan today, that’s the clan of which the Lady B is the most notable member. (Actually it’s complicated because she has her own clan now in addition to her hereditary one, but let’s not split hairs.)

She wasn’t in attendance today, but Honourable Sister and her canine companion were, and Honourable Sister smiled at me as she usually does. (I think I might have scowled in return. I can’t help it, you know, I really can’t.) But here’s the thing about HS: she gives of her smiles freely, but not her words. She’s never shown the slightest inclination to engage with me in conversation, and that’s a shame because she’s mysterious; and mysteries are both fascinating and frustrating; and if that’s how life has to be, that’s how life has to be.

There’s no reason to doubt that I shall go to my grave without ever having had a conversation with Honourable Sister, and so the question arises: should I haunt her by invisibly playing catch with her dog on summer days when the thunder is rolling around the heavens and a storm is in the air? Maybe not. How fortunate it is that I don’t bear grudges. (But I might just whisper a quiet ‘hello’ when she’s alone and reading a book by the fireside one cold winter’s night. I’ll be curious to see whether she smiles at that.)

No comments: