Friday 30 July 2021

Two Little Notes.

It’s odd how you can live for so many years and then suddenly realise something you never thought of before. Today’s sudden realisation was the fact that a life spent as a good stand-up comedian is a life well spent. Not, heaven forbid, because of the wealth or the fame or the ego boost, but for the fact that a good stand-up comedian gives countless people the gift of laughter. It seems to me that the gift of laughter is one of the greatest of gifts, and so a life so spent is a worthy one.

*  *  *

The Shire today was, for the most part, unremittingly wet and gloomy for hour after miserable hour, and the cold, dripping twilight was smothered by a confused and quarrelsome sky. I’ve mentioned before how significant twilights are to my perception; how they can reflect heaven or hell depending on the vicissitudes of climatic conditions. Tonight’s twilight was a Byronic twilight, the very model of a wan day going down in wet and weariness.

I know I should stop quoting Byron, but he does seem to have had a similar response to the whims of the weather and the world about him as I do. I wonder whether we have anything else in common.

No comments: