Sunday 11 July 2021

Gaining Big from the Status Quo.

I’m often given to wondering what would happen if an archaeologist discovered some well preserved documents from the time of Roman-occupied Judea which completely debunked the whole of Christian mythology.

Would he or she, I wonder, be honest enough to make the new knowledge public, or would the alternative prove too tempting: sneak furtively off the Vatican and say ‘I’ve found these documents which will bring your whole organisation crashing down on your heads. Make me a multi-millionaire and you can have them to do with as you will.’

All very speculative, I know, but I still can’t help wondering.
 
And I suppose the same could be said of a scientist who discovered a cure for cancer, and has then to decide whether to shout it from the rooftops or give it up for burial by the medical insurance industry.

No comments: