Thursday, 13 August 2026

Idiocy in the Van.

Following last night's post about the eclipse, I noted that the BBC News page led with it this morning. They described the phenomenon as 'spectacular.' They claimed that millions were 'wowed' by the experience. And they'd already reported that shops everywhere had sold out of the special glasses needed to view the sun safely. It covered several features as well as the lead, and they referred to it as a 'once in a generation event.' Well, that claim was at least true since the last one occurred twenty seven years ago, but let's note what actually happened:

The light level dropped slightly for about half an hour and then returned to normal, as it did in 1999. I think the phrase 'mildly interesting but otherwise utterly unremarkable' would be more accurate than 'spectacular.' And so the big question has to be 'why is the media becoming dominated by the idiocracy which seems to be gaining leadership of life's habits and imperatives?' How are our children being brought up and what kind of world are they about to inherit?

This could go much further than the ineptitude of the BBC, but I'm going to stop there. It's too hot today to work outdoors, so I'm going to write a bit more of my extremely potted biography. It's growing rather bigger than I originally intended, but since I'm writing it for my own sake without any expectation of it being read, it doesn't matter.

No comments: