Friday, 21 August 2026

An Act of Sedition.

I was thinking earlier about one of my all time favourite films, Children of Heaven. It's the story of a little girl from a poor family who loses her only pair of shoes and has to try to hide the fact from her poor father. She does, however, have the help of her older brother. It's one the most human, poignant, and intelligently made films about the simple matter of life's priorities and their consequences I've ever seen. But it's Iranian.

And so I was led to wonder whether any cinema proprietor (or movie theater if you prefer) would dare show it in the USA. It wouldn't be shown in a mainstream theater, of course -- too deep for that. It would have to be screened in some kind of art establishment. But the real problem would be government disapproval. I imagine Plastic Pete's hair would melt, and Trump would lose so much hot air that a climate catastrophe might ensue. It would be deemed unAmerican, no doubt (or even 'left wing', heaven help us.)

And so I'm sure good Americans wouldn't be allowed to see it. Shame, eh?

No comments: