Thursday 9 May 2024

Breaking a Little of the Ice.

Last night I decided it was about time I made the effort to write something to the blog. (It’s been my primary connection with the outside world for the past fourteen years and I miss it.) But first there was the small matter of dealing with my monthly electric bill: print the statement for my records and pay the bill online.

That was when the Glitch God decided to throw a tantrum. The statement wouldn’t print, the online payment received no acknowledgement, and then the browser crashed. I got it all back in working order eventually and repeated the operations, and the only casualty was my bank balance; I’d paid my bill twice. That will be the subject of tomorrow’s phone call. (I didn’t do it today because I spent most of it wandering around my roots – the estate of houses I lived on between the ages of 1 and 11. My daughter has moved there with some of her offspring and I paid a visit. In retrospect it feels a little bizarre.)

Anyway, by the time I’d finished pressing buttons and tearing my hair out, it was too late to make a post. I listened to some music on YouTube instead.

But you know, I have a problem. It feels as though when I started this blog fourteen years ago I was given a truck load of things to say – various categories, matters of opinion, the fruits of observation, rants about life’s iniquities, silly ditties, honest fictions, and so on. But now I feel that the truck is empty, so where do I go from here? I don’t know yet. Maybe tomorrow or next week the ice will all melt and normal service will be resumed. Or maybe it won't. Life is a fickle mistress.

No comments: