Friday 25 November 2022

A Birthday and Buffy's Bronze.

I have another birthday coming up on Monday (if I’m still here.)

I recall how much I used to like birthdays as a boy. I suppose it was partly because I felt a bit special on my birthday, but I think it had more to do with the fact I never felt comfortable as a child. I couldn’t wait to grow up, and each birthday was the attainment of another rung on the ladder of aspiration.

I was given a second hand bike one year – my eighth, I think – and the following year I arrived home from school to find that my brother had sent me a set of lights for it. I was very proud of them and made haste to go out riding in the dark just because I could.

These days, of course, I try to ignore birthdays because I’ve had a few too many. And I still think that memories are both precious and pointless in equal measure.

*  *  *

But now it’s time for tonight’s episode of Buffy, and so I suppose I should add another comment about the gang of intrepid warriors to celebrate the fact. So here it is:

The race to determine JJ’s favourite female character is coming to an interesting stage. Anya has moved up on the rails and is now neck and neck with Willow. (It’s her smile, you know. Anya’s smile is something wondrous to behold.) Buffy, I regret to say, is still running a length behind and I suspect is destined to receive whatever the horseracing equivalent of a bronze medal is.

But there’s a long way to go yet, which is more than can be said for my birthdays.

No comments: