Saturday 3 September 2022

On YouTube's Offal and Impending Dystopia.

I’m often troubled by YouTube’s habit of including in my recommendations uploads for those ultra-conservative trash cans of bigotry and misinformation claiming to be the arbiters of rightness and propriety. I sometimes wonder why they do it because I’m naïve enough to assume that they’re only preaching to the converted anyway, so why should it matter? But, being not entirely naïve, I assume they’re also hoping to gain converts among the ranks of the small-minded who are ready to fall off the fence.

(I get particularly irritated by the fact that one of their favourite targets at the moment is Meghan Markle and Prince Harry. I even saw one which claimed that Harry was a traitor to Britain – or maybe white, upper class people in general – because he’d married a woman with colour in her ancestry. Or it might have been because she’s American… maybe I didn’t read far enough.)

Anyway, the worst of the trash cans is undoubtedly Sky News Australia, no doubt influenced by the somewhat distasteful Rupert Murdoch. For years now I’ve been getting their poisonous little cans of rotting offal infesting my recommendations page, but not any more. And you know why? Because I discovered only this week that I can put a block on individual channels, so that’s what I’ve done. Bye, bye Sky News Australia, and very, very good riddance.

*  *  *

I’m ranting a lot tonight, aren’t I? It’s because my mental state is growing ever more fatigued by what I read in the news every morning. I’m beginning to feel impatient to die so as to rid myself of the rabid rats occupying the seats of leadership and influence in world affairs. They’re depressing the hell out of me, and my hope of coming back into a saner, more humane world is troubled by the thought that full-blown dystopia might be the order of the day by then and matters will be even worse.

No comments: