Thursday 12 May 2022

Going Under.

There’s something rotten in the state of JJ’s world. For nearly two weeks now I’ve been getting difficulties thrust upon me on an almost daily basis, and sometimes multiple times a day. They’ve been caused either by inept individuals, faulty goods, flaws in administrative or technical systems, or an unholy alliance of two or more of the above. My mind is threatening to slip out of gear, stretched to near-breaking point by the constant question: why do I have to keep fighting nearly every day for things I shouldn’t have to fight for?

So what’s going on here? Is there something in the air? Are the planets out of propitious alignment? Am I (as has been suggested) somehow inviting this mayhem into my orbit? Or is this just the way things are in the developed world these days? I wish I knew because I’ve been losing my hair for quite a few years now and I swear that if this continues much longer there won’t be any of it left by the next full moon.

*  *  *

But I did receive my copy of Virginia Woolf’s To the Lighthouse in the mail today. I hope it’s as good as it’s supposed to be or I might be following dear Ginny into the river. (From what I’ve read of her life and attitudes, it seems she regarded suicide as a noble act. Thankfully, I don’t.)

No comments: