Thursday 16 September 2021

Being Out of Step.

There’s a repetitive ad from Sage (I assume Sage Accounting) which keeps appearing in the side panel of my Hotmail inbox. It shows a picture of a woman with built-up orange hair which matches her baggy orange sweater. She looks smug, self-satisfied, graceless, formless, detached. To my perception she appears ugly and utterly unappealing. The headline runs:

Boss Your Cash Flow

…and the button they give you to access the company’s hallowed halls reads:

Boss it now

All that’s missing are the exclamation marks.

The ad doesn’t say ‘we have a product which will assist you with an aspect of your accounting.’ It’s all about confrontation, aggression, power, domination. This is the mainstream modern world declaring its methodology, and speaks volumes for why the mainstream world and I don’t get on.

I want a button which says don’t show me this ad again. There isn’t one.

No comments: