Friday 2 July 2021

Women and My Strangenesses.

It feels like ages since I made a woman-related post. That’s because I feel ill quite a lot lately so I’m not in the mood, but that seems somewhat of a paltry excuse. Accordingly, I made the effort to jot down a few notes on the very subject of me and women and here they are.

I often feel the urge to approach certain women in the street and say: ‘Excuse me, but would you mind awfully if I told you why I find your eyes compelling, and what they tell me about your nature and personality?’ I’ve resisted it so far, but I might have a bit of life left in me yet so you never know.

*  *  *

I was thinking of making a post in which I would list the things which most scare me, but it came to a point at which even thinking about them scared me too much, so I didn’t. I will, however, address just one of them (well, two I suppose, but they amount to the same thing so here goes):

Mad women who want to smother me with destructive intent, and unattractive women who want to smother me with affection which they expect to have reciprocated.

*  *  *

I sometimes imagine a simple scenario in which a wife says to her husband:

‘That woman you were talking to at the party tonight, did you find her attractive?’

‘Very.’

‘So if she offered to have an affair with you, would you accept?’

‘Of course not.’

‘Why not?’

‘Because I made a commitment to you.’

That’s the bit I don’t get.

*  *  *

I wrote this at the time when I would normally be watching an episode or two of The Legend of Korra and reading some more Shirley Jackson. That’s the sort of thing which makes me feel guilty for being unfaithful. Feel free to accuse me of being a feckless fantasist.

No comments: