Friday 30 July 2021

Being Right (Maybe.)

I just watched a YouTube video in which an eminent physics professor is being questioned on the subject of time travel. He said that time travel is theoretically possible, but it would take an enormous amount of energy to bring it about. OK, got that. And then the questioner asked him about the well known logical conundrum: ‘What if you travel back in time and kill your own father before you were born? You would never have existed and so couldn’t have committed the act. Suddenly you’re locked into a self-denying loop.’

The professor explained that the answer lies in the likelihood that if you travel back in time and do something to change the existing timeline, you would create a parallel universe with a different timeline.

This is encouraging because that’s precisely the solution I postulated in a time travel story I wrote around twelve years ago. Seems I’m not as dumb as I thought I was. That’s nice.

No comments: