Friday 24 January 2020

On the Hiatus.

I’m feeling ever guiltier about the people who keep dropping onto my blog even though there’s nothing new to read here. And somebody whose opinion I value told me this morning that, notwithstanding my preoccupation with current and prospective worries, I should continue to blog anyway ‘for the sake of others.’

The sake of others? In what way does my blog benefit others? I’m not qualified to be a guru. I’m not sufficiently erudite to mimic the academic. I don’t give advice because I consider it presumptuous. I don’t even really know very much, but merely have instinctive reactions to things which I observe and which move me (like some asshole from the American political establishment bad-mouthing my heroine Greta Thunberg, for example.) I’ve said before that my reason for writing this stuff is because writing is what I do, and because throwing thoughts out into the ether is slightly more satisfying than bouncing them off a cold and impassive wall.

And there’s something else: When you’ve gone a long time without writing a post, revising the habit isn’t as easy as simply carrying on where you left off. I don’t know why; it just isn’t.

And yet I still feel guilty and inclined to apologise. So… sorry.

I did have a good thought this morning, though. I was suddenly swamped by the realisation of how precious the priestess is. That’s good because I need the occasional reminder not to take the special ones for granted. We probably all do. And I’m still questioning the fact that I constantly declined her request to finally meet me in person after all these years of corresponding by email (she’s been in the UK for the past three weeks.)  I did so for several reasons – not least being the fact that I didn’t have a clue as to where I might obtain a Phantom of the Opera mask – but I still can’t decide whether I did the right thing because we were never meant to meet, or whether I missed the opportunity of a lifetime.

Meanwhile, my life is set to change significantly tomorrow. We’ll see what comes next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well here I've been feeling guilty that you may feel pressured to write a post when I check your blog, but I do like to read your posts. I wish I were half as articulate as you and I would explain why.

JJ said...

Thanks again, Nancy. Compliments can be encouraging and I've had two in the space of a week. All I need now is something to write about. I did think of making a post on the Trump impeachment fiasco, questioning whether it would be a vote winner or a vote loser for him. But then I decided I didn't care.