Tuesday 26 December 2017

Tell Me Who I Am.

There’s a song that was recommended to me by the priestess recently and I’ve listened to it several times. It includes the lines:

There are worlds within me that I cannot explain
There are so many doors but they all look the same
I am lost, I don’t even remember my name

A few lines later it ends with:

…please tell me who I am

I think this relates to a problem experienced by those beset by the reclusive tendency and to which I’ve referred several times on this blog.

It seems to me that people rarely recognise that their sense of personal identity is largely a reflection – positively or negatively – of the environments in which they operate and the fellow human beings who operate there with them. As the recluse becomes more reclusive and turns his back on those people and environments, he suddenly wakes up one day and realises that he doesn’t know who he is because there’s so little to show him. It’s a feeling I have occasionally experienced. It’s confusing and uncomfortable, but I suppose you just have to get used to it and keep putting one foot in front of the other. There is, after all, a grain of personal identity still slumbering somewhere inside, so maybe it’s just a matter of finding the right people and environments to put some flesh back on the bones.

*  *  *

Tonight’s Lady B post didn’t get made because the allegory was too convoluted and I couldn’t be bothered to struggle with it. It was all to do with a pearl, a beach and the ebb tide. Will that do?

No comments: