Thursday 21 December 2017

A Slight Improvement.

Today I could have made posts on:

1. Trump’s welcome defeat at the United Nations.

2. The attitude to gender roles and sexual politics in China.

3. The watching of an Arthurian-themed TV series which would have taken me in completely as a young man, but which now has me bemoaning the absurd lack of credibility in certain plot points and the occasional serious lapses in the quality of acting and direction. (Why do we have to grow up?)

I didn’t make them because they all seemed too earnest, when what I really want to do is get back to playing the fool (in other words, being creatively silly.) It’s a role I was accepting quite happily until the darkening days, the plummeting temperature, and the onset of multiple woes over the past couple of months set the black dog snarling more aggressively than usual.

But today is the winter solstice, so tomorrow the sun starts climbing again. I’d decided not to bother with my usual solstice fire this year, but then changed my mind and had the fire. Some things are just too fundamental to let go of easily.

And this week has seen the welcome return of a treasured old cyber friend from Ohio, USA. Without wishing to tempt providence to breaking point, my fortunes have improved a little during the same period. Whether there is any causal relationship between the two facts or whether they are purely coincidental I have no idea, but the return of an old friend lifts the spirits whether connections may be inferred or not.

All I need now is a silly ditty to set the ball rolling. Working on it.

No comments: