Monday 22 February 2010

The Good Wife's Interests

I find it slightly bemusing when women bloggers list among their interests ‘my husband.’ I wonder what the point of being married would be if a person didn’t find their spouse interesting.

But then a second thought occurs to me. Could this indicate some level of gender insecurity, or even be a subconscious (or maybe even conscious) role affirmation. I spent my childhood being a devout Christian, and I well recall being taught that a married woman’s first responsibility was to her husband, her second to her children, and her third to herself.

Being neither married nor a woman, I really wouldn’t know; but I would be interested to have a woman’s comment on the matter.

2 comments:

Nuutj said...

Definitely my husband is not my interest. He is responsibility and obligation.

JJ said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. What you say is interesting. I wonder whether there is an element of different cultural expectations involved here.

The picture with the sunflower is very lovely, by the way; and the parasol is perfectly positioned against the mountain.