Sunday 28 February 2010

The Fairer Sex.

This actually happened. Admittedly, it was some way back in the mists of my little life, but it happened.

I was on a training course in Winchester. I was lodging at an old inn that had a long history going back into the Middle Ages. It had two bars – the public bar at the front of the building, and the lounge bar at the side. Although there was a wall and door between them, a single, right angled counter connected the two. I was sitting in the lounge bar, alone and minding my own business, when a very attractive young blonde walked in. She came purposefully towards my table. I don’t remember what she said, but she clearly wanted to make my acquaintance.

We sat and talked for some time – maybe a couple of hours. I was a libidinous twenty three-year-old at the time, so it seemed that Christmas had come early. Needless to say, I bought all the drinks. I had high hopes. Eventually, she said

“I think I’d better go now. My boyfriend’s waiting for me.”

I looked over to the public bar. A young man was standing at the counter, frowning at me.

“Hope you don’t mind,” continued the blonde as she walked towards the door. “We’d had an argument and I wanted to make him jealous. Thanks for the drinks.”

That's fair? Ladies, what would we do without you?

2 comments:

Mother Moon said...

sorry for your mishap.. I hope you do not judge all ladies in regards to her actions... I think I would be mad myself, yet let me say that in my younger years I had a similiar thing happen to me with a boy who just wanted to make his girlfriend jealous.... its not fair either way you look at it... :-)

JJ said...

Quite right. I managed to find it amusing at the time. Well, by the next day, anyway.