To a perfectionist like me, one of the most lamentable aspects of modern life is the habit practiced by some young people of writing a word that sounds right to them, rather than the word which is correct. A notable example of this -- and one which I find most displeasing -- is writing 'of' instead of 'have', as in he should of taken the train. That being the case, you might accurately imagine my sense of horror when I discovered just such an error in the Shirley Jackson novel I'm currently re-reading (We Have Always Lived in the Castle.)
I cannot imagine for one second that Shirley Jackson, given her age, her circumstances, and her undoubted acumen in the matter of language, would have made such a glaring error. And even if she did, I'm sure her editor would have corrected it long before it went to print. So how on earth did it get there?

No comments:
Post a Comment