The garden was scented this evening. It’s the first time the
garden’s been scented this year, so I tracked down the source. It was the phlox
flowers, two clumps of which stand next to the big dogwood shrub. And it was
rather pleasant.
‘Excuse me.’
Oh, God, I’m about to be interrupted by one of my lesser known personality variants.
What?
‘You shouldn’t say that.’
Shouldn’t say what?
‘That you like the smell of a scented garden.’
Why not?
‘It’s girly.’
Why is it girly? Why am I allowed to express a liking for the smell of new-mown hay, salt sea air, women’s perfume, and pubs, but not a scented garden?
‘Where was the scent coming from?’
Some flowers.
‘And what colour were they?’
Pink.
‘Well there you are, then. Girly.’
Bugger off.
Now do you see what I have to put up with when my depression is in high functioning mode?

No comments:
Post a Comment