I saw a woman I know in Sainsbury’s on Wednesday. It's some years since I last saw her. ‘Oh,
hello,’ I said, ‘I didn’t recognise you at first.’ ‘I suppose that’s because I
look so much older, is it?’ she replied ruefully. ‘My response was rapid and
almost unequivocal: ‘I hadn’t intended to say so, but now you come to mention
it…’
The first three sentences are true. The rest amounts to a
succession of lies, the fact of which constitutes yet another of life’s
multitudinous missed opportunities.
Meanwhile, Ashbourne was awash with young women in shorts and dogs with wagging tails. What is a chap supposed to do in such circumstances? Which is he supposed to admire first? The dogs won, of course, because you can stroke a dog’s back, pat its head, and tickle its ears without fear of being driven away by men in uniforms and treated badly. Young women are in a different category.

No comments:
Post a Comment