Friday 20 September 2024

When Familiarity Breeds Content.

In order to assess how sociable I am with regard to the good burghers of the Shire, I did a head count tonight of the people whose names I know. Statistics follow:

The population of the Shire at the 2021 census was 304. I’ve only lived here for eighteen years and already I know the names of 8 men and 7 women. That’s 4.9%, which I think is pretty impressive. And that’s not counting the 6 dogs and 3 horses. I could list them if you’d like me to, but you probably wouldn’t so I won’t bother.

The thing is, you see, people in these parts expect you to know everybody. I’ve said before that it never ceases to surprise me so that so many people know my name when I’ve never told it to them, and I don’t know theirs – which can be a little awkward at times. People say things to me like:

‘I was just saying to Albert Grimsdyke the other day… You know Albert I assume.’

‘Erm… no.’

‘Yes you do – farms the land next to Robinson down by the river.’

‘Sorry.’

‘Drives a red Massey-Ferguson tractor.’

‘Oh, that Albert Grimsdyke. Got you now.’ (Which I haven’t, of course.)

Tonight I was blessed with an encounter – Catherine (one of the 7 women) and little Nell (one of the 6 dogs.) Two familiar names in the space of one unforeseen circumstance. Always a delight and a real red letter day.

No comments: