Wednesday 25 September 2024

The Decimation of the Squirrels.

There’s something odd and rather dark going on with the squirrels in the Shire.

I normally expect to see no more than one or two a year dead on the roads in these parts, and sometimes none at all. And yet there have been several this summer alone. And then there was the one I wrote about yesterday close to the tree where a squirrel clucked at me. Today I was coming back from Ashbourne and, just as I approached the top of my lane, two of them ran separately across the road in front of my car and very nearly added to the tally. I had to hit the brakes hard to avoid one of them. And guess what I found when I went for a short evening walk: a squirrel dead on the road right outside my garden.

What on earth is going on with the squirrels in these parts? Is this another sign from the universe and am I supposed to take some meaning from it? If so, what? Always the problem.

No comments: