Tuesday 21 March 2023

Putting the Cart Before the Horse.

You see, here’s the problem with seeing a film first and then reading the book on which it’s based.

I saw the film Gorky Park many years ago. I liked it, and that’s why I bought the book when I saw a second hand copy in a charity shop. As far as I recall, the film concentrated almost exclusively on the crime and subsequent investigation, whereas the book goes deeply into characterisation and is very much richer. At least I think it is because I remember very little detail from the film, but it’s what you’d expect anyway. So here’s the rub:

I’ve arrived at the point where a black sable hat begins to have significance, and now I remember the end of the story quite clearly. Well, you don’t want to know the end of a story until you get there, do you? That’s what spoiler alerts are all about. My only hope now is that, since the book has a richer and more detailed plot, so will the ending.

This is, of course, less of a problem than reading a book first and subsequently discovering that the film adaptation misses the point completely, as happens with every adaptation of Wuthering Heights ever attempted. (At least according to Emily they do. And since it was her ghost which told me to write an essay on the matter, I rest my case.)

No comments: