Friday 24 March 2023

A Match Made in Heaven.

Following on from my previous post about listening to female singers, this is one of the videos I watched:
 
 
Now, I’m not remotely religious, and this song does have a whiff of colonial backwoods Pennsylvanian Baptists about it, and yet I find it surprisingly emotionally charged. I do know why I find it emotionally charged actually, but it would be so difficult to explain that I don’t think I’ll bother.

What I can say is that dear, lovely Cara took an honoured place in a corner of my heart many years ago and she’s still there. I saw her once on a BBC TV series called Transatlantic Sessions being accompanied on the piano by a man called Sam Lakeman. I was very taken with his playing and judged him to be the best pianist I’d ever heard in that kind of musical context. The subtlety of his timing, phrasing, and touch were sublime. And guess what; I was delighted to discover only recently that the two of them are married. Yay? If that isn’t a success story by proxy, I don’t know what is.

No comments: