Friday 31 March 2023

On Spring and Dr. Spooner.

I don’t have much to say today because I’ve been busy with garden and household jobs. (Garden jobs leave me feeling wrecked these days because I’m wearing out faster than a second hand pair of jeans – and I should know because lots of my jeans were bought second hand.)

Still, it was good to see the first leaves open on the horse chestnut trees in Church Lane. They’re always the first of the standards to leaf up, usually beating the later oaks and ashes by six or seven weeks. And they’re such fine, big leaves too, so they attract your attention better than most.

But that’s about it for today, apart from it being a bad day on the technology front. So many things irritating me with glitches on all sides. I expect it’s all due to one of my ruling planets going backwards or something.

The only matter of any consequence today was the discovery of a new spoonerism. My current listening in the car consists of an album of 1930s popular music from the 1980s TV serial Pennies from Heaven, and the last song I heard was Roll Along Prairie Moon. It’s been stuck in my head all day and driving me nuts until I realised that the spoonerism of prairie moon is Mary Prune. I thought it quite wonderful because new spoonerisms are nearly as hard to find as gold dust in an old canal.

No comments: