Monday 28 June 2021

The Day Today.

I got 4½ hours sleep last night in order to accommodate the visit of the orcs at the third time of asking. (The two previous appointments were cancelled by their company for reasons unknown to me. And they arrived early, which I made a point of mentioning but let them in anyway. I can be a really nice guy when I’m tired.)

They were here for 5½ hours, during which time they were respectful in some ways and not so respectful in others. They made some mess which I had to clear up, and talked incomprehensibly among themselves through face masks. It wasn’t very illuminating. And the work they did while they were here seemed hardly necessary, being little more than a box-ticking exercise to satisfy the ravenous demands of a culture becoming ever more obsessed with risk avoidance. But at least I wasn’t paying for it.

I went out for a couple of hours and paid a visit to the little town of Uttoxeter to get a few things I needed. Nothing illuminating – or otherwise notable – happened there either, unless you count the cocker spaniel which seemed unduly disturbed by my presence. Its human asked the little mutt what was wrong but received no reply, and then she smiled at me indulgently. I suppose being smiled at by a cocker spaniel’s human is better than not being smiled at by anybody at all. (Then again, there are cocker spaniel’s humans and cocker spaniel’s humans, if you know what I mean, which you probably don’t.)

So that’s about it for today’s non-adventures so far. I admit, however, to being somewhat concerned by the weather reports from the Pacific coast of northern USA and Canada. Yet again, I see some benefit in being at this end of my life.

And I venture to suggest that I probably find this post even more tedious than you do.

No comments: